Bitesize courses for all health data scientists
In early 2021 HDR UK plans to start rolling out a suite of short and micro online courses to help health data scientists add to their skills and knowledge. These will address immediate priories like safe working with sensitive data, but are part of a wider programme to establish a readily-accessible, high quality national CPD programme.
HDR UK is working collaboratively with the NHS, industry and academic partners to create a programme that will meet the needs of health data scientists working in all settings – including industry, healthcare and academia.
The result will be an extensive catalogue of courses, events and other learning activities which are carefully curated to provide the competencies needed for many different career pathways, from discovery research through to applied clinical research. We believe this is vital so that individual scientists can progress in their own careers and to accelerate the safe, standardised and sustainable development of the entire sector.
“We want the UK to be a world leader in health data science. Making sure that everyone in the field can continually update their skills and knowledge is crucial to this goal.”
Professor Georgina Moulton, HDR UK Director of Training, Learning and Development
Supporting national research priorities
Our training and education programme is being developed in a focused way that supports HDR UK’s research priorities for using data to tackle the country’s most pressing healthcare needs. These are:
- Understanding the causes of diseases Using data from technologies that describe human diseases in detail can provide insights into biology and disease at scale.
- Clinical trials New approaches are needed for analysing trial results. Clinical triallists also need a new system to identify the right trial participants.
- Improving public health Better data use is vital to understanding the causes of poor health and to anticipating the effect a behaviour or intervention.
- Better care Equipping clinicians and patients with the best possible data-based information is vital to aid health and care decisions.
- Human phenome Researchers and clinicians need a well-curated resource where researchers and clinicians can deposit algorithms, tools, methods and training materials on human health characteristics (the phenome).
- Applied analytics Helping the right people access the data they need, in a way that protects the data, maintains patient anonymity, and allows innovation.
Sign up to our E-Bulletin!
HDR UK and its partners provide education and training for health data scientists, and for people who are interested in entering the field. Sign up to receive our e-Bulletin for all the latest updates.