Purpose of the post
At HDR UK, we employ talented individuals who bring their own unique skills and experience to support our vision and benefit the whole team.
HDR UK requires the services of an experienced Technical Programme Director and Product Owner with significant experience of working with health data. This is a highly visible and senior role and will be involve deputising for the CTO, presenting at conferences, building strategic partnerships and leading key areas of product development.
We are currently running several large programmes of work. This role will take on the leadership role of Product Owner for one or more of these programmes. Potential examples include the development of a new Researcher Passport Service and expansion of our existing Cohort Discovery/Feasibility Analysis tool (https://www.healthdatagateway.org/about/cohort-discovery). An understanding of health data research, and global standards in these areas would be hugely beneficial, for example, understanding GA4GH standards around federation and the Observational Medical Outcomes Partnership (OMOP) common data model for data representation and standardised analytics.
The successful postholder will manage a fast-paced pipeline of work, building partnerships with the NHS, industry and academic groups. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to work with key partners both within the Institute and externally and develop software, infrastructure and services that streamline access to health data for research and innovation that has the potential to transform lives.
Technical Programme Director:
- Providing thought leadership in the areas of infrastructures, software, standards and interoperability for health data research.
- Representing HDR UK at conferences, events and meetups, promoting the technical workstreams of the organisation.
- Building strategic partnerships with a range of groups including the NHS, industry and academia
- Identifying potential funding opportunities available both within the UK and more broadly and drafting funding applications for those.
- Championing user-centred design, open-APIs and an open and collaborative Technology Ecosystem.
- Contribution to academic publications.
- Drive successful assembling/development and adoption of technical solutions listening to stakeholder feedback and being driven by value added, user insights and metrics to achieve KPIs.
- Lead definition of the strategy, roadmap, features and stories for key product areas and their integration within other technical solutions such as the Gateway.
- Lead and manage the expectations of multiple stakeholders with different requirements and timelines.
- Define end-to-end user journeys to provide simple and compelling user experiences.
- Build feature roadmaps, maintain relevant product backlogs and prioritise.
- Provide clarity to the delivery organisation on the structure and planning for releases, as well as all design and implementation acceptance sign-off.
- Ensure deliverables within the relevant product roadmap are completed and milestones met.
- Work with software vendors and partners to ensure our requirements are incorporated into their roadmaps.
- Demonstrate the functionality of products to a range of research users with differing levels of technical expertise and support them with utilising the product.
- Maintain an in-depth technical knowledge of the product(s) the post is leading.
- Lead on running regular user design workshops for continuous improvement.
- Document product features, manuals to support users, and promotional materials.
- Support the drafting of relevant data governance and DPIA documents.
Teamwork & Management:
- Line and career management of a small team
- Building good relationships and rapport, working across internal and external teams
Key contacts / relationships:
The post holder will collaborate externally with TRE/SDE/data providers and end-users, the HDR UK development community, 3rd party system integrators, software vendors, and HDR partners, DARE UK, BHF DSC and hubs. The successful candidate will be part of the Technology Team, working collaboratively across the whole team including with key individuals such as the Chief Technology Officer, the Chief Data Solutions Architect, the Technical Programme Director responsible for the software team, the Gateway Product Owner, the Senior Technical Programme Manager. The post holder will also work closely with the Infrastructure & Services Director and other team members within Infrastructure and Services.
Planning and organising:
This post is embedded within HDR UK’s Technology Team and will require high levels of organisational skills and ability to work across organisational boundaries. The post-holder will need to effectively plan and deliver their work and support their direct reports but also be able to respond to changing needs in a fast-paced organisation.
The Technical Programme Director and Product Owner will be expected to use problem solving skills to respond to diverse demands. As part of a wider team, the post holder will operate with significant independence. The post holder will require confidence and resilience in dealing with enquiries, problem solving, and decision making and will be expected to make effective judgements on when to escalate issues to senior colleagues.
The post-holder will make all day-to-day operational decisions for their own workload.
How to apply
Please upload your CV and covering letter, with current salary and notice period to: email@example.com
This will be anonymised and will be used if you are shortlisted.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries regarding your application.
Health Data Science Black Internship
Applications close 7 January 2024
Across the UK
We are working together with our host organisations to help transform the prospects of, and provide opportunities for, early career Black people in the UK to flourish in their future health data...
Product Owner – Health Data Software
Applications close 29 November 2023
Flexible. Primary base could be anywhere in the UK, but must be willing and able to travel to London and elsewhere (mainly UK) in connection with the role
Purpose of the post At HDR UK, we employ talented individuals who bring their own unique skills and experience to support our vision and benefit the whole team. HDR UK requires the services of an...