Purpose of the post
HDR UK requires the services of an experienced Software Engineer to develop the next phase of its flagship Innovation Gateway ( www.healthdatagateway.org ) and associated services and APIs and work with the wider Technology Ecosystem across a range of academic groups.
This role may suit someone with an academic research software engineering background who would like to bring their domain knowledge to the Gateway and Technology Ecosystem.
The Innovation Gateway was released in May 2020 and provides a key resource to discover and access health data resources for researchers and data custodians. Its primary function is providing visibility to and supporting access requests for data sets by researchers in the UK and around the globe to health data that can support them in their quest to deliver scientific insights, that improve health and healthcare of the UK and worldwide populations.
The Gateway today holds information on over 750 data sets which researchers can securely request access to and is supported by over 60 data custodians across the UK and the globe.
These data sets have supported the publication of over 1,900 impactful papers at the cutting edge of scientific and medical discoveries.
The Gateway has been a critical deliverable in HDR UK’s first quinquennium (5 years) and we are really looking to scale up as we look forward into the future to support 1,000’s of researchers on a global basis discovery and gain access to data in a trustworthy and secure fashion, enabling discoveries that improve people’s lives. HDR UK are also building a Technology Ecosystem working with a range of academic groups across the UK to enhance the technological offering.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide individual contribution as a full stack hands-on developer, work within the Gateway and wider Technology Ecosystem development teams, carry out code review & quality checks and document as required. Ideally you will also bring your health data domain knowledge to the teams.
- Software Development aspects:
- Full stack developer
- Developing all different aspects of the Gateway and Technology Ecosystem including Search, Content Management, APIs, Visualisations and Integrations
- Working to an agile methodology
- Working in sprints
- Documenting code, conducting code reviews for the team and maintaining high quality, performant and testable code
- Troubleshooting and supporting development issues as they arise working with the team
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience working in an agile / scrum software development team
- Comfortable operating across national teams and different strategic initiatives (i.e. science and technology)
- Experience using Confluence, JIRA, Trello or similar Agile project management tools
- Proficient in English
- 5+ years software development experience
- Great attention to detail
- Demonstrable experience using Git (preferably GitHub)
- Have worked with software development best practice (e.g. testing, continuous integration, documentation, release management)
- Have been through all software development life cycle stages (requirements, prioritisation, specification, design, code and test).
- Delivered code in an iterative project management-based context.
- Worked as part of a team of engineers (four or more concurrently) working on a codebase.
- Project Management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to liaise confidently and effectively with a range of individuals
- Willingness to learn and develop
- A good BSc. (2:1 or better) in Computer Science or other related subject with a strong computational component or equivalent experience
BHF Data Science Centre Deputy Director
Applications close 7 March 2023
Purpose of this post: At HDR UK, we employ talented individuals who bring unique skills and experience to support our vision and benefit the whole team. We are looking for an exceptional and...
Invitation To Tender – Freelance Video Editor Support 2023
Applications close 3 February 2023
Editors for Futures We require additional support (project-led) with video editing for our Continuous Professional Development programmes, for our virtual learning environment, Health Data...