The Management Accountant will support HDR UK through a period of change, including a finance system change and from linear to matrix financial reporting.
- Manage the day-to-day management accounting activities, including preparing the monthly and quarterly reporting pack for Board and Non-Exec Committees, preparation and presentation of information for internal reports and papers.
- Work with the Finance Director, Director of Business Operations and other members of the senior management team, and financial business partnering with academic partners
- Support the transition from linear to matrix financial reporting across the organisation
- Annual budgeting
- Manage quarterly reforecasting, revised budgets etc
- Create and monitor project and event budgets and analysis to improve efficiency and profitability
- Review financial information for business cases and funding applications
- Adhoc analysis and reporting
- Make recommendations for policy, process and control improvements
- Identify opportunities for reporting improvements across sites and partner organisations
Planning and organising
This post is part of a small core team that is embedded within HDR UK to manage the core HDRUK operations, to support the other activities of HDR UK in terms of science, innovation, training and public engagement. The Management accountant will provide operational support for the day to day financial activities of the organisation, including its academic partners. This will require significant planning and organisational skills to ensure HDRUK delivers its financial objectives. At the same time, the post holder will require a flexible and fast paced approach to work to changing demands of the core team and based on external changes.
The post holder will be expected to use problem solving skills to respond to the diverse demands on the team. As part of a small team, the post holder will operate with significant independence. The post holder will require confidence in dealing with enquiries, problem solving and decision making. The post holder will make an effective judgement on when to escalate issues to senior colleagues’ attention and with what urgency.
The post-holder will make all day-to-day decisions for their own workload to ensure delivery of tasks to deadline. With support from the Finance Director, the post holder will identify, initiate and develop opportunities for streamlined and effective working with the members of the HDR UK team across the UK and with relevant national and international partners and organisations.
HDR UK is dedicated to continuous improvement through our quality management system and demonstrated by our commitment to achieve ISO 9001 accreditation. The post-holder will review, analyse, identify and implement opportunities for quality improvement within their specialism and as part of the wider team through our strategy development and internal audit processes.
The post holder will build and maintain effective working relationships both within HDR UK, with partners in substantive sites and with other key stakeholders. The post holder will have close working relationships with the HDR UK FD, Director of Business Operations, EAs, HDR UK Site Managers as well as other members of the HDR UK team.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Should hold a relevant professional chartered accountancy body qualification with post qualification experience of at least 3 years.
- Experience of working in or with research organisations and/or Higher Education Institutions
- Be able to demonstrate experience in financial management in academic or research related sectors with experience of providing financial support to the senior management team.
- Be skilled in preparing monthly/periodic management accounts and forecasts; returns (including Grant Funder returns); Board information
- Experience of accounting systems and high level of proficiency with excel
- Excellent quantitative skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively and confidently with people at all levels. Ability to produce high quality reports in Word and Powerpoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to handle sensitive issues positively
- Ability to explain concepts without technical jargon
- Excellent relationship building and networking skills
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work accurately with attention to detail
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work autonomously and make decisions without supervision
- Ability to process complex information and present targeted messages to different audiences
- Experience of multidisciplinary team working
- This will be a part-time role.
- The role will be based at the HDR UK offices in London
- Travel may be required to the HDR UK substantive sites and partner organisations in the UK.
You can build effective relationships and networks of individuals and organisations, including volunteers, senior levels of management in health, social care and industry as well as developing information systems that facilitate the smooth running of such networks.