Purpose of the post
The HDR UK Finance Manager will be a key member of the HDR UK team, supporting the Head of Financial Management, Compliance & Reporting to ensure that HDRUK operates at the highest levels of financial probity, accountability and transparency, The Finance Manager will be responsible for operational finance, compliance and controls. The Finance Manager will support the continuous improvement of our financial processes and systems, ensuring they are fit for purpose in our rapidly changing environment by prioritising and driving change to deliver increased efficiency and effectiveness of controls.
- Month-end and Quarter-end processes:
- Preparing monthly P&L and Balance Sheet reconciliations
- Assist in preparing information for internal reports and papers, including Board reports
- Financial reporting
- Preparation of information and reports for the financial statements
- Liaison and sharing of information with auditors, tax advisors and other external professional service providers
- Financial operations
- Support the Head of Financial Management, Compliance, and Reporting in managing HDR UK’s operational accounting, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, treasury management
- Understand and support HDR UK’s financial and business strategies, advising on operational finance implications
- Advise and contribute to systems improvement and implementation discussions
- Management of outsourced payroll providers
- Compliance, and internal controls
- Anticipate the impact to HDR UK of internal, external and legislative changes, ensuring recommended changes to policy, processes and practice are planned and implemented
- Continually assess the internal controls environment to identify weaknesses, recommend and implement improvements, ensure documentation remains current
- Ensure compliance with charitable sector regulations and guidelines and updates to the Charities SORP
- Support with the development and implementation of process and controls improvements, including efficiency improvements and automation where appropriate, and retirement of inefficient/redundant processes.
- Financial Systems
- Work with the HDR UK Systems Manger to recommend and support improvements to the financial system
- Manage existing financial data integrity across current systems and interfaces
- Provide support for financial systems access, maintenance of delegations of authority, workflows and reports
- Manage operability of the HDR UK expenses system, including providing support to HDR UK employees and external users
- Contribute to the development of the Finance Department strategy and delivery plan
- Provide training and advice to individuals internal and external to the Finance department
- Assist with ad hoc reporting & analysis and other activities as required by management
- Identify training requirements and create opportunities for professional and personal development
HDR UK is dedicated to continuous improvement through our quality management system and demonstrated by our commitment to achieve ISO 9001 accreditation. The post-holder will review, analyse, identify and implement opportunities for quality improvement within their specialism and as part of the wider team through our strategy development and internal audit processes.
The post holder will build and maintain effective working relationships both within HDR UK, and our partner organisations. The Finance Manager will have close working relationships with the Head of Financial Management, Compliance & Reporting, the Head of Financial Planning & Analysis, the Finance Officer, the wider finance team and other members of HDR UK. The Finance Manager will also have close working relationships with key external finance service providers, including external auditors, tax advisers, payroll providers, banking partners etc.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- CCAB qualified (ACA / ACCA preferred) with operational finance experience
- Strong technical knowledge of relevant accounting standards and regulatory frameworks, including charity reporting
- Experience of leading the financial year-end processes
- Experience of preparing for external audit and acting as focal point for external auditors
- Excellent understanding of the controls required within an accounts processing function
- Demonstrable success in process and control change and improvements
- Working knowledge of VAT
- Excellent quantitative skills, use of Excel and finance and accounting systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively and confidently with people at all levels.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to handle sensitive issues positively
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and to working in an agile, flexible and pragmatic way
- Ability to lead and work as part of a team
- Ability to work autonomously and make decisions without supervision
- Ability to process complex information and present targeted messages to different audiences.
- Previous experience of Microsoft Business Central (Dynamics)
- Experience of systems change and/or implementation
- Previous experience in a commercial technology or large non-profit
- Experience with managing external service relationships
- Experience of managing stakeholder relationships within an academic or not-for-profit environment
- Experience of multidisciplinary team working
PhD Opportunity – Multi-omics in Population Cohorts
Applications close 22 December 2023
Applications are invited by 22 December, 2023 for an HDR UK-funded PhD at the University of Cambridge applying multi-omics in population cohorts to study common complex diseases.
Health Data Science Black Internship
Applications close 7 January 2024
Across the UK
We are working together with our host organisations to help transform the prospects of, and provide opportunities for, early career Black people in the UK to flourish in their future health data...
Technical Programme Director and Product Owner
Applications close 29 November 2023
Flexible. Primary base could be anywhere in the UK, but must be willing and able to travel to London and elsewhere (mainly UK) in connection with the role
Purpose of the post At HDR UK, we employ talented individuals who bring their own unique skills and experience to support our vision and benefit the whole team. HDR UK requires the services of an...