Purpose of the post
The Data-enabled Clinical Trials Thematic Lead will be a key member of the BHF Data Science Centre leadership team, working closely with the Director and other centre staff to identify and prioritise key areas of work in the use of large-scale, automated and streamlined approaches (with an initial focus on routinely collected health data) in delivering efficient, cost-effective cardiovascular clinical trials, demonstrating impact at national and international level. They will have an excellent understanding of, and expertise in, clinical trial methodology and conduct and a strong commitment to developing linked healthcare data-enabled approaches to planning, recruitment and follow-up in large scale cardiovascular trials.
The BHF Data Science Centre already has a well-developed relationship with NHS Digital and strong links with the HDR UK clinical trials national priority area and NHS DigiTrials. This part-time role would build on these links to work in partnership with these organisations /areas of interest and to provide leadership and strategic planning in data-enabled trials for the cardiovascular community, to meet the wider objectives of the BHF Data Science Centre in improving cardiovascular health through the use of large-scale data and innovative analytical methods.
This post would suit a clinician / methodologist / statistician who is an established leader or well advanced on a career pathway towards a leadership position within the clinical trials field.
- Provide leadership to bring together research, clinical trials and data science networks, professional societies, patients and wider stakeholders within the cardiovascular clinical trials community to shape and influence the way cardiovascular clinical trials are planned, designed and delivered at scale, build consensus and sustain support within that community. An ability to see the bigger picture is key in order to ensure benefit to the wider community.
- Create and maintain new partnerships and build on existing partnerships with the cardiovascular and clinical trials communities, patients and data custodians to identify and prioritise the key challenges of carrying out clinical trials and how these can be addressed through the use of large-scale health data. The candidate will build on existing partnerships and collaboration opportunities with HDR UK initiatives, such as the clinical trials national priority area and the NHS Digitrials Hub.
- Work with the cardiovascular and clinical trials communities and the BHF Data Science Centre Director to identify suitable exemplar driver trials and projects that will address key requirements in this thematic area. In collaboration with the wider cardiovascular clinical trials community, provide strategic leadership in the development of novel methodological approaches.
- Provide strategic direction and champion the team science approach to deliver projects, providing negotiation and brokering skills where necessary to drive improvement within data-enabled clinical trials.
- Lead on the development of strategic plans for this thematic area in collaboration with the BHF Data Science Centre Director and her team. Work with the centre’s team to direct the development of full-scale project plans and subsequent reporting for this thematic area. Day-to-day project management and administrative support will be provided by the centre’s team.
- Contribute to and lead on funding applications and, in collaboration with the BHF Data Science Centre and HDR UK, identify opportunities to communicate milestones, deliverables and impact of the data-enabled trials thematic area activities.