HDR UK requires the services of a recruitment agency to source interim and permanent roles for our Communications, Engagement and Involvement (CEI) team. The first role will be an interim Head of Communications.
The team is undergoing expansion, and subject to successful delivery of high quality, appointable
candidates, coupled with a high quality customer experience, for the interim Head of Communications role, HDR UK would seek to involve the successful agency in recruiting to other roles coming on stream shortly.
We require an agency which will:
• Support the recruitment of interim and permanent candidates
• Provide a single point of contact with demonstrable experience in supporting recruitment in Communications
• Liaise with the Director of Communications and Engagement to take the brief on each role
• Source and manage candidates
• Comply with HDR UK’s establishment recruitment practices
• Manage candidates through the appointment process including negotiation, reference sourcing and contracting
• Act in alignment to the HDR UK values
• Work at pace
Induction and on-boarding will be managed in-house by the HDR UK team.
For the interim Head of Communications role, we are seeking an experienced Head of Communications who can quickly become an established member of the team while we recruit to the substantive role.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Engagement, they will be responsible for:
- Managing a team of three direct reports and two contractors, including providing high quality line management support that brings the best out in our team, ensuring they can thrive within HDR UK.
- Developing and supporting delivery of Communications, Engagement and Involvement strategies for the following major pieces of work:
- BHF Data Science Centre: announced in October 2019, the BHF Data Science Centre will
deliver the data and data science needed to address some of the most pressing challenges in heart and circulatory health research. Currently in its set up phase, the Centre will lead a major public engagement and involvement campaign to ensure the views of patients and the public are central to all its activities.
- International COVID-19 Alliance and data workbench: this activity is HDR UK’s first
international programme of work. It will bring together data custodians across national
boundaries to provide linked datasets in a safe and secure environment to support
researchers and innovators in their response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Health Data Research UK Innovation Gateway: launched in February 2020, the Gateway is a web portal for discovering and requesting access to UK datasets for health data research and innovation. There are ambitious plans to make this the go to place for any health data research needs, including projects, tools and data access.
- Supporting the Director of Communications and Engagement as requested, including deputising when required.
Within three months of appointment, they will have delivered:
- taken on full line management responsibilities
- ensure the team are well supported to deliver their work at the pace and scale required
BHF Data Science Centre
- A website for the BHF Data Science Centre
- A brand and visual identity
- Management of interactions with the British Heart Foundation to agree ways of working
- A clear approach to involving patients and the public in the Centre’s governance, programmes and projects
- A plan for proactive communications, including stakeholder and media engagement
International COVID-19 Alliance and data workbench
- A communications plan for the International Alliance, clarifying objectives, target audiences and ways of working across the partners
- A website for the International Alliance
- A proposal for engaging global communities
Health Data Research UK Innovation Gateway
- A communications plan with key activities planned to support new releases between now
and November 2020
The outputs of these activities will be measured via monthly KPIs that have clear targets set for
communications and engagement reach.
We are seeking someone who is:
• An experienced Head of Communications, with six or more years of experience in similar roles
• An experienced line manager with demonstrable success in managing high quality teams
• An exceptional writer, with the ability to deliver high quality copy at pace
• Able to grasp the complexity of HDR UK and our work, and can communicate it in a way that is
clear, engaging and inspiring
• Experienced in delivering high impact communications strategies, with success measures, across a
range of activities
• Aligned to the HDR UK values
• A highly effective personal communicator across media (email, phone, videocall)
• Able to lead strategies across media outlets and channels (social media, news media)
• Experienced in delivering Engagement and Involvement strategies – ensuring the public voice is
heard and acted upon
• An excellent team worker, supporting the needs of the team while delivering their own workload
• Highly organised
• Able to work with a wide range of stakeholders in a variety of settings
• Experienced in working in the health and/or technology sector