- Generate a wide range of compelling and engaging content to support HDR UK’s wider communications strategy, in line with key messages and overall objectives
- Publish content using the full range of channels to reach core audiences, including activating partner networks (with ownership of selected channels)
- Support the Communications and Engagement team in delivery of overall strategy, including Digital Marketing and Events
- Act as point of discovery and interface with rest of organisation (and partners) to unearth interesting new material for publication
- Work with internal teams and external partners to generate compelling and engaging content
- Prepare the first draft of all “core” written content, including news stories, blogs, opinion pieces, case studies, posts for social media channels, toolkits for partners
- Turn around written content on a timely basis (sometimes daily) for publication and distribution
- Produce HDR UK’s regular newsletter (currently monthly – “HIVE”)
- Work with the Research Manager and Chief Science Strategy Officer to ensure publication of research papers, pre-prints and discoveries relevant to HDR UK; highlighting our role (and the role of data more widely)
- Strategically schedule content into the comms/content planner to meet organisational objectives and timelines
- Work with Head of Communications to implement a filter process with colleagues and partners to ensure relevant content is prioritised in line with strategic and organisational objectives
- Support the production of videos and manage photo shoots
- Work with colleagues, partners and agencies to develop engaging written and visual content that supports the development of organisational objectives, in line with set budget
- Support the Communications and Events Manager to promote events (internal and external) and capture content from events
- Work with Digital Marketing Manager to report back to the Communications team and wider organisation on the effectiveness of content on a regular basis producing monthly progress and feedback reports, aligned to the Institute’s Key Performance Indicators
- Ensure all communication materials produced for Health Data Research UK adhere to the brand guidelines
- Publish engaging content on Health Data Research UK’s websites, ensuring the websites are up to date daily
- Work closely with the Digital Marketing Manager to deliver content across online channels
- Manage Health Data Research UK’s social media activity (Twitter and LinkedIn), in line with the wider communications strategy for engaging with target audiences
- Distribute content via Mailchimp and oversee email campaigns
- Support the Digital Marketing Manager in implementing the Communications and Engagement team’s use of the organisation’s CRM
- Co-ordinate with the HDR UK Business Operations Officer on items such as managing shared Inboxes, publishing vacant job roles and Invitations to Tender
- Provide additional support to Communications and Engagement team as required
Planning and organising
This post is part of a small and exceptionally busy team that leads communications and engagement for this national institute. The Communications and Content Officer is responsible for planning and delivering activity, aligned to the strategy, that meets the demands of Health Data Research UK. This will require exceptional organisational skills, managing multiple projects at one time, to ensure work is delivered within deadline and to budget. At the same time, we work at considerable pace and the post holder will require a flexible approach to work to changing demands of the core team and based on external changes.
The post-holder will be expected to use problem solving skills to respond to and manage the diverse demands on the team. The post holder will operate with independence, dealing with and responding to issues brought to their attention. The post holder will require confidence and resilience in dealing with enquiries, problem solving and decision making.
The post-holder will make all day-to-day operational decisions for their own workload and on behalf of Health Data Research UK, where required.
The ability to establish strong and productive working relationships across a range of professionals is vital to the success in this role. The post holder will have a proactive, enthusiastic and collaborative approach and will be comfortable working in an environment where there are conflicting and opposing views.
The role reports to the Head of Communications and also requires close working relationships within the Communications, Engagement and Involvement team, especially the Digital Marketing Manager; with whom close co-ordination will be required for the publishing of content through HDR UK’s own channels.
The post holder will build and maintain effective working relationships both within Health Data Research UK, with colleagues working in our research sites, Health Data Research Hubs, our technology delivery partners and with other key stakeholders.