The Health Data Research Innovation Gateway will act as a common portal through which researchers and innovators in academia, industry and the NHS can search for and request access to UK health research data held by members of the Alliance and the Hubs in Trusted Research Environments to provide a safe location for data storage and access. The Gateway will support the use of data, facilitate interoperability, and provide analytical capability. It will take the form of a common web application providing the following functions:
- The ability to search for available data
- The facilitation of access requests to multiple data custodians
- Integration with accredited Trusted Research Environments to provide secure access to linked datasets
- A library of curated analytics tools and scripts
- A dashboard to show usage and quality of datasets for research and innovation to provide transparency to data users, data custodians and the public
The Gateway will not store or hold health data. Data security is paramount and data will continue to be held by data custodians in Trusted Research Environments
The Gateway will be designed to operate at a national and international scale, and to be scalable as the uses of health data increases. HDR UK works in partnership with NHSX and other NHS bodies to ensure that the Gateway aligns with related NHS endeavours, including the development of clear standards for the use of technology in the NHS.
The Gateway is being developed in phases:
The first phase is aimed at delivering a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) to demonstrate the capabilities across the DIH Programme and to provide further insight on user needs to inform Phase 2. Partners have been selected for the first phase and it is currently underway.
Click here for more information on Phase 1
Procurement for the second phase, which will be developed with the support of a technology partnership, was launched on 16 October 2019.
Click here for more information on Phase 2