About the programme
The UK has an urgent need for new health data scientists –it’s a rapidly expanding field with the recognised potential to transform the future of health and care for all, and webelieve that health data science should be as effective as possible in serving and reflecting the needs of the entire UK population.
The overall aim of our Health Data Science Black Internship Programme is to not only to tackle the underrepresentation of Black people within the health data science sector, but to also provide motivated candidates with an opportunity to expand their knowledge around health data science and gain the experience they need to kick-start their science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) careers.
Planned for the summer of 2022, this paid internship programme will offer a high-quality, eight-week internship with one of ourhost organisations, providing interns the opportunity to not only learn about health data science in action, but will also carry out their own clearly defined research projects. Interns will also be offered wider collaboration and networking as part of the programme.
Is the programme for you?
Each internship will be tailored to suit the environmental needs of both the intern and the
host organisation – whether this is in-person, online or hybrid. All internships will be paid according to the London Living Wage as a minimum – regardless of where the intern or host organisation is based. Should interns require a laptop, our host organisations will provide these for the duration of the internship.
We don’t expect you to have developed all these skills just yet,but some of the skills you should have include:
• Sound quantitative skills and the ability to conduct analyse using data.
• Competent pattern recognition and predictive modelling skills.
• Passion for solving health data problems, no matter how big or small; and are strongly motivated to get things done.
• Appreciation for our mission as the UK’s national institute for health data science to unite the UK’s health data to enable discoveries that improve people’s lives, and balance this with a collaborative mindset to prioritise your work.
• Confidence in your verbal communication and presentation skills.
• A willingness to learn and develop new skills, as well as tackle new areas.
How can I apply?
To express interest in our 2023 internship programme, please contact us below.